Each week we are sharing with you a resource to support you as you plan for your child’s return to school, regardless of what that return looks like for your child. This week we are sharing the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) School Decision-Making Tool for Parents, Caregivers, and Guardians. The CDC explains that the Tool is organized to provide:
- Information on COVID-19 and why safely reopening schools is so critical.
- Tools to:
- Help you assess your child’s and your family’s risk of COVID-19;
- Consider factors that will help you make a choice, if offered, of instructional format (e.g. virtual, in person, or a hybrid option); and
- Prepare for the school year, regardless of format.
As always, we encourage you to read the entire document to see what is most helpful to your family, but we also want to call your attention to some highlighted quotes from the Tool (emphasis added):
- “As you are making decisions about your child(ren) returning to school, it is important to consider the full spectrum of risks involved in both in-person and virtual learning options.“
- “COVID-19 is a newly identified disease caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2. Scientists are still learning about how it spreads, how it affects children, and what role children may play in its spread.”
- “If you, your child, or a household member are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19, you will need to weigh the benefits, risks, and feasibility of the educational options available.“
- “COVID-19 transmission and illness are not the only risks to consider when making decisions about sending children back to school.“
- “Review local school or school district reopening plans to understand the steps they are taking to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and support educational goals.“
- “When weighing decisions about your child returning to school, it is important to consider your family’s unique needs and situation and your comfort level with the steps your school is taking to reduce the spread of COVID-19.“
We encourage families to join us for our weekly virtual support group this Thursday, August 13 at noon for a group discussion of this Tool and other concerns and feedback families have about school return.