Child In Crisis?

If your child or family is in crisis and you are afraid someone might hurt themselves or some one else, get immediate assistance by calling 911 or contact the Community Mental Health Center Crisis Team in your area.

Talk to Other Parents

If you want to talk to another parent who’s been in your shoes about ways to find help for your child, call Families as Allies at 601-355-0915 or 800-833-9671.  We can share our own experiences as parents and help you sort through ideas for finding help.

Find a Mental Health Professional

Learn more about different types of mental health professionals from this helpful guide from Mental Health America.

Ask whoever you take your child to for their regular health care, like their doctor, clinic or nurse practitioner, to help you find a mental health professional.  Other people who may be able to help you are members of the clergy (like a minister, priest, rabbi or imam) or the principal or counselor at your child’s school.

This video tells ways to find help if you think your child might need it.

Contact your regional community mental health center to find out what services it offers or call the Mississippi Association of Mental Health Centers at 601.321.2442 to find out more about community mental health services in general.  To learn more about children’s mental health services certified by the Mississippi Department of Mental Health click here.

Contact the professional associations or licensure boards for different mental health providers.  Here are some of those associations in Mississippi:

Remember: Regardless of where you go to get services, you and your child should be treated respectfully and your input and ideas should be valued.  For more information about how your family should be treated, click here.

Additional Resources

See our Resources page for links and documents to help you and your family.