The Mississippi Department of Education’s Procedure Manuals for Special Education are available online.
They were written by a group of people that included parents and are fairly easy to read and understand. We encourage you to use them as a reference.
Volume IV: Discipline has several charts in the appendices that summarize helpful information if your child is receiving special education services (or there is reason to suspect they should be) and is facing disciplinary action at school. These charts include:
- Appendix DIS.A Top 10 Highlights for Discipline
- Appendix DIS.B Discipline Procedures Chart
- Appendix DIS.C Suspension of Children Not Yet Eligible
- Appendix DIS.D Removal Not A Change of Placement
- Appendix DIS.E Removal That is a Change of Placement
- Appendix DIS.F Change of Placement: Serious Violation
The same volume explains what should happen if your child needs a Functional Behavioral Analysis (FBA) or Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP).