There are several ways to find support for you and your child.

If your child or family is in crisis and you are afraid someone might hurt themselves or someone else, get immediate assistance by calling 911 or contact the Community Mental Health Center Crisis Team in your area.

If you want to talk to another parent who’s been in your shoes about ways to find help for your child, call Families as Allies at 601-355-0915 or 800-833-9671.  We can share our own experiences as parents and help you sort through ideas for finding help. 

Learn more about different types of mental health professionals from this helpful guide from Mental Health America.

Ask whoever you take your child to for their regular health care, like their doctor, clinic or nurse practitioner, to help you find a mental health professional.  Other people who may be able to help you are members of the clergy (like a minister, priest, rabbi or imam) or the principal or counselor at your child’s school. 

This video tells ways to find help if you think your child might need it.

Contact your regional community mental health center  to find out what services it offers or call the Mississippi Association of Mental Health Centers at 601.321.2442 to find out more about community mental health services in general.  To learn more about children’s mental health services certified by the Mississippi Department of Mental Health click here.

Contact the professional associations or licensure boards for different mental health providers.  Here are some of those associations in Mississippi:

Remember: Regardless of where you go to get services, you and your child should be treated respectfully and your input and ideas should be valued.  For more information about how your family should be treated, click here.

We are very interested in learning about your experiences with finding services for your child so we know how we can improve things for all children.  We would appreciate you answering a few questions here.



Showing 2 reactions

Families as Allies is funded through generous donations, training fees, grants from the Substance Abuse and Mental Heath Services Administration, the City of Jackson and the Department of Mental Health, and contracts with other non-profits and agencies.