Every day families across the translate Families as Allies’ vision, that all children will have the opportunity to reach their potential and be successful, into a reality. They do that by being a partner in their children’s care. Making sure that families are partners in all aspects of their children’s care is Families as Allies’ mission.
How can you be a leader by being a partner in your child’s care?
- Learn as much as you can about your child’s condition and what you should be able to expect when partnering with the different systems your child is involved in. One way to do that is exploring the different sections of this website, especially under the Ask Us tab.
- Talk to other parents who have navigated situations similar to yours. Consider asking another family to help you think through and plan for important meetings about your child. Have a challenging meeting coming up? Ask another person to go with you who can offer support and understands what you want for your child. Not sure where to turn? You can always call our office and talk to a parent who has been in your shoes.
- Model partnership and leadership when you go to meetings about your child:
- Treat others as you want to be treated.
- Remember that you are an valuable and equal member of the team – as a parent, you have important information and expertise about your child.
- Be prepared – think through and write down your goals for the meeting beforehand.
- Listen. If you disagree with something in the meeting, repeat it back to the person to make sure you understood.
- Respond to disagreements by sharing factual information and relevant policy and then request clarification.
- Questions and information that you want to share before, during and after a meeting should always be in WRITING.
- Help organize families in your community to support each other and come together to make things better for their children. We are happy to help with this. Call our office and ask for Henry Moore at 601-355-0915 to learn more.
Join Families as Allies. (First you will be asked to answer some anonymous questions and then directed to our membership page) It’s free and allows you to receive regular updates and information about how to become more involved if you would like. The feedback you share with us helps us know the most important things to focus on in the state.
- Attend our Leadership Training.